Saturday, May 22, 2010

Worry Worry Worry?

All I really want to do is enjoy the moments of this pregnancy, but it seems almost impossible. First of all, I am a planner. I plan everything and I plan contingencies for everything. It makes me a great attorney, but a crazy pregnant lady.

I have a high pressure job and handle lots of files. I work as a surety bond claims attorney for an insurance company - essentially I handle construction law issues. My stress level can get high at times and more recently I have had to travel more and more. So naturally, with this pregnancy, I know that I may be on bedrest at some point, so I am trying to get everything in order. This is difficult to do when you already have tons of files and workload yet you are extremely tired from the pregnancy. I am trying not to stress myself out over it. But for example, the first week of June, I have a conference and a mediation that I have to travel for. Essentially I will leave on Saturday, come home on Tuesday and leave on Wednesday until Sunday. Not only is that hard on me and my work level, but difficult on my family as well, since I have to leave my DH and DD. There is no way I can do this even by 20 weeks.

Many say there is no direct connection to stress and HELLP, but I would disagree. When I had my daughter, I was under an extreme amount of stress. Hell, we were moving to another state 2000 miles away and having a baby due 6 weeks after. So looking back it doesn't seem to be as much of a surprise that she came early and I had issues. I know I have a right to feel this way after everything we have been through, but hopefully I am not driving my DD & DH crazy already.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's ok to be worried - you have a reason to worry-what if the doctor puts you on leave for the pregnancy - would you lose your job-I would think that would not be legal and you know the details for this-but maybe for your health and the health of the baby-that might be a possibility? I know it is probably not-but could the doctor say no traveling for you-could someone else do the traveling and you handle things my conference call-video call-ect. I know you have thought of all of these but your health and the health of that baby is worth more than any job-you are an attorney, you are smart if you have to get another job - I bet you could quickly. Try hard not to stress about DH and DD-they will do fine-maybe in the long run it will be helpful-you don't have to cook, or wash or give DD a bath-you come home from the day and eat and take care of only you..that might be a positive-if you didn't stress about their wellbeing. They are doing just fine-you need to think about you (I think I know you well enough to know you think about yourself last but right now you must think about the baby first)! Take care of you, I'll check on you in a few days-we sure miss your posts each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that stress plays a role in PE and HELLP...after all stress plays a role on everything else to do with our health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I agree that stress plays a role. I moved (in the same state), just 2 weeks before having to deliver my daughter at 28 weeks due to HELLP. I am also an ER nurse, on my feet, running like crazy at times, doing 12 hour shifts. I have heard HELLP/PE called "the nurses curse". I believe due to the amount of time we are on our feet and stressed. I just found out we are pregnant with our second and I am PETRIFIED!! Thank you for posting this blog.

    ReplyDelete