Thursday, May 27, 2010

Maybe sometimes things happen for a reason

It's amazing how many choices we make that affect our lives. Maybe it is just the way they are supposed to happen. At the time I had my daugher in 2008, we lived a little bit out in the country in Connecticut. I worked in Hartford, CT about an hour a way. I had a miscarriage about 6 months before we got pregnant with my daughter. We had just moved back to the Northeast from Texas, so I had a new doctor I had never been to. I started spotting at about 10 days after I took pregnancy test- this was before my 1st prenatal appointment was scheduled, so I called and they told me to come in on Monday- which was 4 days later. I waited for almost 2 hours in a crowded waiting room to pee in a cup. Then the nurse- not the doctor- called me into the hallway. Apparently all the rooms were full, so instead of bringing me in an office, they told me in the hallway- that I must have had an early miscarriage.

After that, I refused to use that doctor. I learned that they were the biggest OB/GYN group in the surrounding area near my house, so I began looking for a doctor closer to my work in a bigger City. I hadn't really figured out what I would do if I actually got pregnant, but I refused to see any of those doctors at that practice again.

After interviewing a few doctors, I found a practice I loved. A few months later, I was pregnant. I think everyday that my early miscarriage saved my daughter's life. My doctors were wonderful. They explained everything thoroughly throughtout the whole pregnancy. They did not take chances with anything. I had a circumvalle placenta - so even thought there was nothing they could really do about it except sit and wait, they walked me through it and made sure I had regular ultrasounds. Nothing ever came of that.

I was really sad that my husband was offered a job in Wisconsin in my 2nd trimester, because I wanted them to deliver my baby. So I found a doctor in WI (one I turned out not to like after postpartum visit). But right before I was scheduled to leave CT for WI, I felt off. Looking back, I see that I had severe headaches. But I was under a lot of stress. My husband was in another state, it was winter time in New England and I had a 60 minute commute back and forth to my high pressure job. I was trying to find a house in WI, all the while showing our house in CT. I thought the headaches were just stress headaches. But I called my doctor on Wed and said I just want to come in one last time before I leave for WI. Just to make sure everything was ok.

By the time I went in, my urine was brown. My kidneys and liver started failing. I never remember having the upper right quadrant pain associated a lot with HELLP syndrome. But I had a backache- probably from the kidney issues. As soon as I walked into the doctor, they took me in immediately, since I did not look well. My urine had protein in it- which is a bad sign. Additionally, my blood pressure was skyrocketing.

My doctor- who I loved- immediately sent me over to the hospital across the street. Within 6 hours, I was delivering my daughter by emergency C-section at a hospital with a NIC unit- which would have not happened if I went to hospital closer to my house.

Sometimes I feel jealous about how easy others have it in pregnancy. But other times, I think how all the stars must have lined up for my daughter. - That is, the miscarriage caused me to find a doctor that actually listened to me, that was aware of what seemed right for me and not. That doctor was affiliated with a hospital who provided me excellent care. I listen to other women who have had HELLP or Preeclampsia and many of them didn't even know they had it until they had their medical records. Not me- my doctor kept me informed the whole time- I knew exactly what was going on and how serious it was. I am thankful for that everyday, since I am the type of person that can deal with almost anything if I know exactly what is happening. Hell, maybe I may not have even called my doctor if I was not moving out of town and would have tried to wait until my next appointment- which could have been a disaster for me & my daughter.

So with the last 2 miscarriages I have had and now this pregnancy, I am trying to keep an open perspective that maybe god does have a plan for me. My last miscarriage forced me to lose some of the baby weight because I just wanted to have something to take control of. I had been running and walking almost 40 miles a week since January and my doctor said I can continue as long as I am comfortable doing it. This has made a big difference in how I feel. I also started eating healthier- which might also be what I need for this pregnancy.

Maybe at the end of the day, things really do happen for a reason. I hope so because I really look forward to this being an uneventful and healthy pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are doing well so far-I think you are in great shape this time and this will really help. Take care of you and the baby and of course DD and DH. I let everyone know in WW what is going on with you-they all send their love and best wishes. We miss you. Our thoughts and prayers for you and the new baby - Please know that I think of you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in hartford, ct last year. I delievered my daughter stillborn at 22 weeks due to pre-e and iugr in August at Hartford Hospital. I am now 10 weeks pregnant with my second baby ( i am praying this will be my take home baby) We live an hour away from Hartford now to be closer to my doctor and Danbury Hospital. where we will hopefully be delievering.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us!

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete